• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Horizontal or Vertical Printer?

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by pad316, Mar 12, 2014.

?

Which is your favourite Concept?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2014.
    1. Concept A

2 vote(s)
      66.7%
    2. Concept B

1 vote(s)
      33.3%
    1. pad316

pad316 New Member

Hi everyone,

You may have seen my last post with some printer concepts. Using the feedback gained I have produced another two. Please could you take a moment to answer my poll?

Many Thanks!

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

3. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

I'm going to go for "B" for the same reasons I stated in your other thread. Just a thought... if you hinged the metal bracket you might be able to offer both options from the same product.

4. Lochnagar

Lochnagar Well-Known Member

A few thoughts:-
      a. I would probably say neither A nor B. Most paper exit "trays" are inclined slightly upwards - maybe 15 degrees. I suspect that if the exit "tray" was horizontal - and you did a multi-sheet print - the second sheet of paper would move the first sheet of paper - further away from the printer - and so on.
      b. Additionally, if you are going to do multi-sheet printing - I think a "tray" would be handy - from which you can pick all the sheets off - as opposed to having to pick them of the table - and possibly crinkle the sheets in the corner in the process.
      c. I also wonder if the printer is too narrow - and wonder if this will exacerbate the problem I have highlighted in point a. above.
      Hope this helps.

5. Obermesik

Obermesik New Member

I like the vertical printer something new but with the hinged added to it, it would give more options

6. LinkedIn Gopher

LinkedIn Gopher Little furry chap

Out of both 'Concept A' i.e. horizontal type seems to be my favourite.

Because in case of horizontal printer multiple paper loading, straight paper in and out etc benefits are possible. In addition to that if strength permits one can put any lightweight object on top of printer.

Whereas in case of vertical printer there is a fear of toppling and also are chances that any foreign material may drop in and getting stuck from paper in side.

Source

7. eckcop

eckcop Member

Concept A looks stable, but B has a nice small footprint.

I'd jack up Concept A another inch or two; so you can get a whole ream under there and maybe add a cutout so you can get your fingers under the paper.

I wouldn't have sharp edges around the HP logo, or unnecessary recess to collect dust.

8. adamru

adamru Member

Concept B is more beautiful and looks different, which is an advantage. However, concept A is more practical and less risky.
      I would choose A.