• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • How can I calculate force required to destroy of a iron hollow cylinder?

Discussion in 'Calculations' started by ahad_yekta2004, Nov 25, 2011.

1. ahad_yekta2004

ahad_yekta2004 New Member

How can I calculate force required to destroy of a iron hollow closed cylinder when we have internal exploding ?

i want to calculate (Δx) and get the energy by Forced * (Δx) , so i should have strain

Use ultimate tensile or stress of Pr/t for calculating strain of destroying of explosion ?

3. Virgule

Virgule Active Member

Are you trying to calculate the maximal internal pressure a cylinder can resist ?
      If you are, you have to take several stresses in account and you have to define the static failure criteria you want.
      Here is a summary of piping stresses, I've highlighted the equations you'll need :

[​IMG]

(direct link : http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z434/Virgule99/Piping/Piping_Stress_pressure.png)

NB:
      - The pressure P is the relative pressure (difference between inside and outside pressure)
      - There are other failure modes (impact, fatigue,...) that can cause rupture at stresses under static failure stresses