• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • How do I make a vacuum cleaner

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by danielon8669, Apr 19, 2018.

1. danielon8669

danielon8669 Member

Hello, please I need help. I'm about to do my first project and I need some help.
      The aim of this project is to simply stop large particles from blocking a vacuum cleaner. I noticed when particles get stuck in the pipe, the vacuum can't pick up enough dirt because air flow has been restricted.
      I just created a design recently and it's basically just a vacuum handle with an additional compartment that can trap dirt and dust.
      It's my first design so I don't actually know if it's going to work, want to give it a go.
      I have decided to design a different compartment where I can fit a filter/wire mesh to and then connect it to the main pipe/handle of the vacuum. Since it is going to be a different compartment, I can easily pull it out of the pipe open it, dispose the particles inside, clean the dust and fit it into the vacuum pipe again.I don't think I'm making sense
      I don't know how to make some of the parts in a workshop though. I was thinking of using a 3D printer to make some of the parts, don't know if it's a stupid idea. 20180419_104729.jpg 20180419_104715.jpg 20180419_105245.jpg

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

One thing you may find is that the screen you're showing is much smaller than the filter (or filter bag) inside the vacuum cleaner. As such, it will clog much faster and require emptying more often unless you're talking about a very coarse screen for very large particles. Even so, long stringy dust that could otherwise pass through will likely drape over the screen strands and build up (and be very difficult to clean).

You might look into how dust collection systems (common for woodworking) work... they swirl the flow use centrifugal force to remove most of the particles so the vacuum filter itself only traps what's left.

As far a prototyping, the sizes and shapes you're talking about lend themselves to using PVC pipe. Depending on what tools you have available, even wood could be used for some of the thicker parts.

4. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I fully understand your intent, and how you want your parts to go together, but from the picture, they look like they could be turned on a lathe fairly easily.

5. danielon8669

danielon8669 Member

Thank you, I never thought of that from the start. Your reply was very helpful.

6. danielon8669

danielon8669 Member

Oh yes, I already have the parts and with the fits I used, the parts should slide over without much problem. The difficult part was installing the filter but I think I'm just going to screw it inside or 'screw it'