• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • How do you choose your materials & manufacturing processes?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by GarethW, Apr 21, 2012.

?

How do you choose manufacturing processes or materials for new designs?

1. Using material/process selection software

2 vote(s)
      11.1%
    2. Based on previous experience

12 vote(s)
      66.7%
    3. Asking suppliers/manufacturers

9 vote(s)
      50.0%
    4. Asking other engineers

7 vote(s)
      38.9%
    5. Use the same materials/processes as used in earlier projects

7 vote(s)
      38.9%
    6. Books

8 vote(s)
      44.4%
    7. Internet

6 vote(s)
      33.3%
    8. Other (explain below)

1 vote(s)
      5.6%
    9. All of the Above

1 vote(s)
      5.6%
    Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

What method do you use to select a material or manufacturing process (or both) when you're designing something totally new?

It's easy to stick with what you already know, but there are so many manufacturing processes and engineering materials out there it's often worth broadening the search. I once used the Cambridge Engineering Selector (CES), which is a great piece of software. In simple terms, you enter your design paramaters and it gives you a load of options that you can screen & rank under chosen characteristics. I like this technique because it certainly opens up your eyes to other options you might never have considered.

Apart from the benefit of previous experience, books or the internet, usually the favorite option for choosing materials/processes is to get on the phone to suppliers and ask for advice. Unfortunately, by doing this you risk designing things based on the dubious expertise of of a man called Dave at a local metal-basher, who might have done everything the same way for the last 30 years! I'm not saying that there's anything bad about consulting a supplier - there's many of really excellent ones who really know their stuff ...and many who've come up with ideas for me that have been real lifesavers! What I'm saying is that it can be a bit of a lottery, as you could get bad advice.

I've added a poll so please select the method(s) you use to select to choose materials/processes. And of course discuss below!

3. kevin.koehler

kevin.koehler Member

Hi,
      I wanted to add a link to the charts that you mentioned:
      These charts were also brought to my attention in my machine design class.

Most of my work has been with one-off parts, so I've stuck with my library of "go-to" materials that I think will get the job done. Also, part of the selection comes from what the machinists I work with are comfortable with. This is not a very exciting or optimal approach, so I'll be interested to see how other people approach the issue!

4. cwarner7_11

cwarner7_11 Well-Known Member

Actually, the poll is lacking the "All of the Above" button, which is what I would likely have chosen. The only two of limited use would be the materials selection software package (I would be concerned that the authors of the software might have some ulterior goal, like pushing plastics over metal, for example), and the Internet, which is so grossly over-loaded with information that it is virtually impossible to find any valid technical information. Once the material selection is narrowed down to a broad class, the Internet comes in handy for getting specific spec sheets on specific variations.
      Don't belittle the guy with the experience. A lot of these fellows have been down the "Been there, done that" road, and although their experiences may be dated, they can raise some important issues with some materials that you might not be aware of...

5. GarethW

"All of the Above" option now added to the poll!

6. GarethW

How do you choose your materials & manufacturing processes?

Anyone else?

7. Dave B

Dave B Active Member

Poll access

Pardon my ignorance but it would appear your poll has 5 respondents and no way to vote?
      Perhaps more would chime in if the method of voting was made more obvious.

Dave

8. GarethW

Hi - it's very easy to vote. Are you not seeing this?
      poll.jpg
      Could you have previously voted? If you had then you won't see this. Actually I see that 16 people have voted.

9. MDR

MDR Active Member

Most of the above. I've not used software, though I have researched materials online.
      There are many factors to consider - not only the requirements of the application and environment, but also cost, availability, machinability, etc. I tend to stay away from specialty or proprietary materials unless absolutely necessary.

10. Dave B

Dave B Active Member

I don't see the jpg perhaps I did vote?

Thanks for responding.
      Dave

11. GarethW

Might be worth checking out a few other polls on this site (just do a search on "poll" using the search box at the top of the page) just to make sure it's definitely working OK for you.