• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • How does this get molded?

Discussion in 'Plastic moulding' started by William Wonkum, Nov 1, 2016.

1. William Wonkum

William Wonkum New Member

Hello, I'm new to this forum and new to injection molding in general. I had a question about this type of product in this image:

[​IMG]
      What would the mold for this look like? I'm just trying to get my head around it, how the different mold parts would pull off. It is "hollow", it lets water pass through, acting as an adapter for two pipes, providing a female threaded connection at one end, and a male threaded connection at the other. Any images you can send of molds or sketches or diagrams will be greatly helpful. Thank you.

3. Ganesh Moorthi

Ganesh Moorthi Member

Hi William, To my knowledge,
      The external thread (Male thread) is formed by splitting it into half between core and cavity. Whereas, the internal thread needs to be formed using unscrewing mold with special Rack and Pinion mechanism from side core. Check for unscrew mold videos in Youtube !

4. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

I agree with Ganesh. You can also see a bit of flash/sharpness around the lower diameter. This is a telltale sign of the split-line between the unscrewing (lower) core and the main core/cavity that come from both sides of the part.