• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • How is this called?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by ignacioivb, May 19, 2021.

1. ignacioivb

ignacioivb New Member

Hi everyone! I am designing a small jib crane with a rotating support (for 360° movement) and I have spent some time searching for information about the pivoting mechanism that is used on commercial portable cranes...some times known as "pickup cranes" or "truck bed cranes".

I can´t find well-documented references of any kind of this type of mechanism...(maybe because I don´t speak english natively) I have only designed what I believe should work, but I would like to know how is this mechanism called and if it's there any mechanical design book that covers this specific mechanism.

Attached is an image of a commercialy available crane and a drawing of my design so far.

Attached Files:

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Also commonly called an "engine hoist", it's nothing more than a support post, a lever, and a hydraulic cylinder.

4. ignacioivb

ignacioivb New Member

Thanks Dana for your reply!

5. Oilytrunk

Oilytrunk Well-Known Member