• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • How to assemble a robot using the same robot ?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by xaockhaos, Feb 9, 2013.

1. xaockhaos

xaockhaos New Member

[h=5]A few questions to lead to the ultimate answer for the above question

What type of robot would it look like ?
      How complicated will be robot be ?
      Does it open up possibility to evolve robot like biological creature ? (Darwin evolutionary theory survival of the fittest )
      What would be the end point of the robot after evolving using the basis as survival =able to collect energy on its own ?
      Suggestion to implement self assemble robot ?

Try to tackle the problem using different perspective
      - Mechanical approach
      - Theoretical approach
      - Biological approach
      - or any type of approach

Would reveal the answers after 10 suggestion [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[/h]

3. mhjones12

mhjones12 Well-Known Member

I think the more complicated it was, the more complicated it would need to be in order to build itself, and the complexity would explode to infinity. Thus, it would have to be something incredibly simple. I bet that this is a questing being investigated by robotics research institutions. Here is something similar; a robot that can assemble itself uIn-sMq8-Ls.

4. Boothby171

Boothby171 Member

Consider a "typical" arm-style commercial/industrial robot, such as one might use to assemble cars, motorcycles, etc.

Think about the various components required, how they would need to be manufactured (forging, casting, machining, welding), the wiring harness(es), and their manufacture and installation. I would bet you'd need a few robots (though perhaps identical) to make another robot.

You also say "assemble," implying that the fabrication aspects are taken care of "off-line." Do you want this robot to fabricate the parts as well?

And as far as evolution goes...no. No evolution. Do you want to program evolution in? If so, how? Random changes? Planned growth? If random: be prepared for a LOT of scrap! And if you're talking about evolution....what's the environment that these machines are going to be working in? What are the conditions supposedly forcing them to adapt? Are you planning on slowly corrupting the power supply over time, so that they need to develop their own power sources? How long are you ready to wait?

And the end point? I doubt you'll see any change at all.

You make me nervous, though, with your talk of "revealing THE answers." If you already know THE answers, why bother asking the questions? I am betting that you already know THE answers you WANT to know. I await your revelations.....

Boothby171