• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • How to calculate a groove for a arbitrary sealing (ring).

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Bert, May 24, 2014.

1. Bert

Bert Member

Hello All,

We are trying to develop a filter housing for a typical product see below however we are struggling with the ring that comes with this repair kit. because this isn't a real O-ring we don't know how to calculate exactly the groove wherein the need to come and seal.

Can some help me or explain in what way we should think in developing a suitable groove for this " (sealing)ring"? How do you calculate the groove for this? Are there special calculators or formulas for?

[​IMG]

Thanks,
      BR.

3. oreng78

oreng78 Member

this is a similar seal - see if it helps - click HERE
      (you might need to register first)
      Good luck!

4. Bert

Bert Member

You mean that I can use the o-Ring calculator to do the calculations? Because i registered me on the site you mentioned and I only can find some o-Ring calculator.

5. oreng78

oreng78 Member

use a desktop computer and click on the link again after u r registered

U will see a seal with a design similar to yours with the appropriate groove dimensions

6. Bert

Bert Member

Thanks for your response but I can't find it can you give me a name?

7. oreng78

oreng78 Member

8. Lochnagar

Lochnagar Well-Known Member

Hi Bert,

The seal that you have sketched the cross section of - does not look in my opinion like the seal that oreng78 has identified in the trelleborg catalogue - page 225 - see link below. The reason for me saying this is that a filter typically has a pressure rating of just a few bar - but the filter on page 225 is for 350bar - and its application is for a dynamic operation - whereas the filter application that you have is a static application. In addition to that the seal on page 225 - is a two part seal - whereas the photograph you have posted appears to look like a single part. To me the photograph looks a bit like a propriety design of seal - unless I am mistaken.

However, if you have to design a housing to take this particular seal - why don't you use the existing dimensions of the existing housing? You should be able to measure them with a bore micrometer and a vernier.

Alternatively, why don't you use a standard Fram or Pall filter element - which typically use standard o'rings?

http://www.tss.trelleborg.com/remot...maticlycreatedbyscript/catalogs/rod_gb_en.pdf

Hope this helps.

9. AceEngineer

AceEngineer Member

Bert,

What you have is technically not an oring, which has a circular cross section. You have a custom cross section which means groove calculators do not apply. You should get a copy of the Parker Oring Handbook and study the introduction section. The handbook only covers circular cross section seals, but the background and theory behind the seals is the same. Since the seal ring is included in your filter kit, it gets replaced every time the seal is broken. In this situation you can use a groove that traps and volumetrically crushes the seal. Typically an oring in a "properly designed" groove need not be replaced every time the seal is broken. Design your groove so that tightening the can crushes the seal completely. This usually ruins the seal for reuse, but you are replacing every time. See Section 1.7.9 Crush Installation in the Parker Handbook for an example applied to a circular cross section seal.

The handbook is available online here: http://www.parker.com/literature/O-Ring Division Literature/ORD 5700.pdf

AceEngineer

10. oreng78

oreng78 Member

Bert, from my experience with various sealing methods and design i think you should start with the product i specified. it might be that the groove will be too tight in the beginning but you will have something to start from which is better then nothing... from my experience when using a special cross section for sealing it all about trial and error - all i did was giving you a good starting point, Good Luck !

11. Bert

Bert Member

Thanks for the advice. just using a standard o-ring an throwed away the special ring is maybe the best solution.