• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • How to calculate motor Power for POV GLOBE!

Discussion in 'Calculations' started by diegoterc3, Sep 23, 2013.

1. diegoterc3

diegoterc3 New Member

HI! I am new to the forum. I hope I can help with and get some answers here!.

Lets see. I am making my own POV Globe (Watch from min 5 to 7 please, I will talk about the big one not the small one)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMt9ku1zJvQ

Now, I managed to build the big one and design it with SolidWorks, but I didn't do any mechanical calculations (I know noob mistake). Well the thing is that in the first try the system was so unbalanced that it practically just tore of by itself:(. That was when I learned that I HAD to make calculations :eek:.

But now that I've learned I have some questions about my design. I am feeling that 2 things happened:

1) The ring was off balance. How can I calculate where to put my electronics so that it balances perfectly?
      2) The motor speed up too fast and too furious!. That is why I would like to know how I can calculate the HP or Watts that I will need. I know inertia has something to do with it but I really have no idea of how to calculate this.

Also I used gears for this prototype but I am thinking of using belts for the next one, mainly because if someone has the brilliant idea to stick his arm in while the system is functioning.

I hope someone can help me with this problem. Thank you so much in advance and if you have any questions please ask.