• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • how to control the product deformation!

Discussion in 'Plastic moulding' started by hello bowen, Oct 2, 2014.

1. hello bowen

hello bowen Member

Oct 2014
      Four years ago, i came to an interview for a injection mould designer. The interviewer asked me a question: if i give you a product, how to control this product deformation.
      Well, it’s very funny thing, at that time, i don’t know how to answer this question. Before when i designed the mould, the product material was designated by our clients, and other information about the mould design was designated by company. So that time i though i am not a designer, i just drawing.

Now, if someone ask me the same question. My answer was below:
      If you want to control the product deformation, follows need your consideration.

1. Type of material.
      There are two kinds of resin materials for injection molding: thermoplastics and thermosetting plastics. This time we talk about the thermoplastics.
      Thermoplastics can be categorized as amorphous and semi-crystalline plastics.
      (or we called crystallized plastic and non-crystallized plastic)
      Crystallized plastic has a higher and varied shrinkage rate than non crystallized plastic. So if we want get a less deformation product, first choice was non-crystallized.
      Crystallized plastic: PP, PE, POM,PA6,PA66
      Non-crystallized plastic: PC, ABS, PMMA,AS
      TIPS:eek:nce i saw it form a book. There has a easy way to distinguish the crystallized or non-crystallized. You just saw weather this plastic was transparent or not. If this plastic was transparent, that is Non-crystallized plastic. If half transparent or not transparent that is crystallized. Expect a special one, ABS, not transparent but it is non-crystallized plastic.
      The first step we should choose the right type of plastic. This is very important. But also we should consider it’s price.
      The next step, we should talk about the product design.
      Tomorrow i will update.
      (if someone found some mistakes, pls no hesitate to correct me, we share then we progress. Especially the sentence’s grammar or structure)
    3. Vinothprabhu

Vinothprabhu New Member

Apr 2014

Definitely this is useful thing. Got an idea of the thing that I gonna work with. Keep going... Waiting for your next Update...;)