• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • How to create this type of enclosure using "convert to sheet metal" ?

Discussion in 'SolidWorks' started by tss813, Nov 5, 2014.

1. tss813

tss813 New Member

I can draw solid bodies, and even complex design but have no experience in sheet metal design. How can I get a box that looks similar to this: http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1456NEK4.pdf using the convert to sheet metal button? If I draw a solid body (cute for example) I can select the panels that will form either and top of bottom and add the flanges from the sheet metal menu - no problem. But how can I do the same and end up with two parts?

3. K.I.S.S.

K.I.S.S. Well-Known Member

Hi,
      Solid Works Help/Solid works tutorials/Sheet Metal/Create a base flange will provide you with the information that you need.
      Keep in mind that your material thickness is important in sheet metal - if you're using mild steel and you don't know how to calculate the bend radius, then set the K factor to 0.275 - this will suffice for most instances.

4. luren07

luren07 New Member

You can only create one sheet metal part once a time. And I don't recommend using "Convert to sheet metal" function.

In you case, you can always create two sheet metal parts using Base -> add edge flange. You know the dimension and this is quite easy. Just follow the SolidWorks tutorial then you can do it.

5. zackm032488

zackm032488 New Member

I would suggest not using the "convert to sheet metal" function, as it will be much easier to make these parts using native sheet metal processes.

Creating a base flange is just like a solid extrude except you sketch an open profile rather than a closed profile. The lines of the sketch will become the profile of sheet metal part. Be sure to take note of the material thickness and which direction the material is oriented in relation to the sketch.

From there you can cut holes the same as you would with a solid part.

6. sheldon.lu

sheldon.lu Member

this is a assembly file,and it is a explosion view,or do I misunderstand you