• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • how to make an actual crane in matlab

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by m&m`s, May 12, 2012.

1. m&m`s

m&m`s New Member

TERM PROJECT

The project involves control design and implementation for a suspended object. A moving
      cart is attached to a motor to move a simple pendulum (see Fig. 1). The relevant system
      parameters are given below. The system has three sensors to measure the two angles and
      vertical position of the suspended object.

The objective is to stop the suspended object as fast as possible by moving the hoisting cart
      or/and the hoisting cable.

Design Criteria: The cart can move in two directions from the initial position. The cable can
      be also lift or lower the moving mass. You should come up with your own design
      specifications (e.g., settling time, overshoot, rise time etc) to meet the objective. Keep in
      mind that the real system contains nonlinear effects.
      The competition: The teams will present their designs and they are given three trials to test
      their controllers on a real crane, see Fig(1). The team with the smallest average time for a
      successful operation will win the competition. Twenty percent of the project grade will
      depend on the normalized scores.
      The project will be carried out in two phases. The following is an outline of the steps for the
      first phase.

• Develop a mathematical model for the system.
      • Develop a Simulink model to carry out simulations and design the controllers.
      • Design some simple control systems and simulate the response
      • A progress report should be submitted by Wednesday, may. 27, 2012.

The second phase will involve designing and testing various controllers. A formal project

report is to be submitted by may 29, 2012. The teams will present their designs on June 3, 2012.

System Parameters:

Maximum speed: 0.3m/s
      Maximum acceleration: 0.9 m/s² Cord length: 40 cm
      Suspended mass: 0.5 kg
      Sensor gains are to be taken as unity.

Figure 1: Actual Crane
      [​IMG]

========================

how can i start with it ?
      any suggestion ?

3. mhjones12

mhjones12 Well-Known Member

Next time, write your own description of the project so that everyone can't immediately tell that you've just pasted your class project description; no one wants to do your homework. Also list out a few steps that you think you would take to solve the problem, again you don't want to look like you just want people to do your homework.

I see that the date for the first progress report has passed, but I'll write a few suggestions anyway.
      1. A dynamic model should be easy. It's a pendulum in 3-space with 2 degrees of freedom. I believe that the degrees of freedom are decoupled (independent), and thus each degree of freedom would be governed by the same equation of motion (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_(mathematics)). Since the description mentions nonlinearities, don't use the small angle approximation.
      2. Take the Laplace transform of the equation of motion.
      3. Develop an analytical model. I don't remember the math specifically, but I believe that you should also be able to derive analytical expressions for the parameters like overshoot, settling time, etc. so that you don't just have to guess and check with the computer simulation.
      4. Build a computer model and verify analytical model. Simulink has a block for inserting Laplace transform equations directly. Then insert a block for your controller and an output block to observe the results.