• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • How to tilt a antenna?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by surendra, Mar 31, 2011.

1. surendra

surendra New Member

Hi,

I plan to use BLDC motors to convert rotary motion into linear motion using rack and pinion gear mechanism. You may please suggest a better or alternate method.

Using actuators, the linear motion would be used to provide tilt to three antennas in two directions. The three antenna would be mounted at 120 degrees on a platform. The platform would be mounted at a height of 14 metres on a tower. Each antenna weighs approx. 60 lbs and is expected to tilt

1) by 2 degress downward facing earth
      2) by 5 degrees along Y-axis

Can somebody share thier expereinces with actuators, motors and gear mechanism to organise variable tilt?

Surendra

3. DesignFeats

DesignFeats New Member

Hi,

I would propose that you use linear actuators, like http://www.motiontech.com.au/assets/pdf/Small AC&DC Actuators.pdf they have a reed switch output an embedded controller with pulse counter and H Bridge.

Benefits
      - Reliable, No Design or R&D
      - No Movement with power off, i.e not backdrivable
      - IP Rated
      - High Resolution position pulses with absolute positioning.

I have done this already for a solar tracker and have controller, firmware and software done, email me david@designfeats.com and I'll email you the product and spec.

Good luck
      David