• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • i faced a tricky question recently..

Discussion in '2D and 3D CAD general discussion forum' started by Akhil, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Akhil

Akhil New Member

How can I come up with a model where the FRONT VIEW and the TOP VIEW look same..
      here is wat I was asked to come up with in CATIA V5 R20..

Two concentric circles is the front view.. and Two concentric circles is also the Top view.. DIA50 FOR OUTER CIRCLE.. DIA 25 FOR INNER CIRCLE.. DIA 25 IS A HOLE THROUGHOUT(IN BOTH THE VIEWS)
      regardless of wat the use of the model is.. wat are the uses of the model..
      I just had to come up with a model.. there cannot be uneven surfaces or useless protrusions apart from
      whats been asked to do..

Can anyone suggest... how can we design it in CATIA(any workbench can be used)

3. kalexeff

kalexeff New Member

A solid sphere would view as a circle in both the front view and the top view. Then, two through holes crossing in the center of the sphere as suggested in the instructions you received could appear as circles in each of the views. The problem is that the through hole that appears as a circle in the top view will cut away some of the sphere and this will appear as a flat spot on the top and the bottom of the circle in the front view. The same thing applies to the top view (from the other through hole). Your challenge is to add material to the sphere so that you still see full circles in both views. I'm not sure of the exact commands to do this in Catia, but what if you started with a cube then sketch the two circles on each of the top and front faces. Extrude and remove the material inside the small circle on each face, then extrude and remove the material outside the larger circle in each view. I think that would do it.

4. Chiru

Chiru New Member

And I Think, this answer may help you the best. As per your requirement to show two concentric circles in which one with 50 dia and other 25 dia. So,Initially in Catia V5 R20 first draw two concentric circles in one plane and extrude upto 50 length then select another plane and draw another two concentric circle with same dia and now pocket them.Then atlast you can see with two concentric circles in both Top view and front view with same dimensions as specified.