• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • I/O shaft step up

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by hassanfadil, Jan 29, 2011.

1. hassanfadil

hassanfadil New Member

Hello
      We have a gearbox design at the university, and i wanted to ask about the I/O shaft, i designed the required diameter for the shaft, but when choosing a deep groove ball bearing is it necessary to step up the shaft here?, or i can use a bearing with the same bore diameter as the shaft?
      thanks in advance :)

3. xmechanic

xmechanic Active Member

Easier to install bearing if stepped up.

4. Preston

Preston New Member

hi im preston, you can use a bearing with the same bore provided that the bearing you select can withstand the gearbox output shaft condition( max torque, max power, max speed) you can also check for missalignment and endfloat. after doing the checks select your bearing accordingly, if the bearing maximum bore is smaller than the shaft pick a larger one. Stepping up your shaft will create extra stress concentration zone on your shaft and you will have to recalculate your shaft diameter. you can make use of the SKF online catalogue i think you can download it. preston Ngoyi Mechanical engineering Student University of Johannesburg,RSA