• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • In desperate need of advise!

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by CaityfromKansas, Jan 13, 2011.

1. CaityfromKansas

CaityfromKansas New Member

I have a Question and this looks like the right place to post the question, I'm very desperate for some advise. My husband is a Business Admin. Graduate and has been working in the financial service industry for the last 4 years. His dream has always been to be a mechanical engineer/ design mechanical. I have to agree with him that this is something that he would be fantastic with since he is sooo mechanically incline as it is. He designs so many things day to day, and really gets thing that i have no clue how he knows how to do with out any schooling (right now he is in the process of building a silencer for a hand gun... no worries he is gone through the ATF to make it legal and submitted his blue prints and they have signed off on it.) He finally called the college and made an appointment to talk to a councilor about going back to school to get his ME degree. To his disappointment it was still going to be a 4 year program that does not really offer evening classes once you get past the prereqs. So now the QUESTION!!! I feel like there has to be some sort of program out there or job out there for people that are naturally mechanically incline and have great instincts, I know he has so much to offer and he is great with design and building and evolving things to make them work. Can anyone lend some advise?

3. Tom1959

Tom1959 Member

It might be worth having a look at Open University. You can choose the courses that you need to do and study to suit your own lifestyle.

4. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Hi Caity. I think Tom might be right. Some kind of correspondence course like Open University might be the best option.

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Many community colleges offer mechanical engineering programs that you can take as night classes. Most only lead to an associates degree, but it gets you half way through it (and is enough for many employers). In my area (Connecticut) the community colleges have an arrangement with a nearby university so that all the credits transfer and you're guaranteed admission to the university once you're done at the community college.

Be aware, though, that your husband is extremely unlikely to make nearly as much money as an engineer as he would in the financial business... though he may enjoy his job a lot more.

6. guy

guy Member

Caity, the mechanical engineering process isn't about designing "many things day to day". I don't know many people who design new products on a daily basis, and if they do, it took them many years to get there. It would take your husband a long time and experience to get to such a position, maybe a systems engineer, for which he would probably have to acquire an MSc degree.
      I think the best thing for your husband would be talking to several mechanical engineers who would explain him what ME is about, which is sometimes is a very routine work with absolutely no creativity involved, especially in the beginning.
      Studying is also not that easy, the first years there will be a plenty of mathematics and physics at a high level and nothing about the design itself.
      Good luck,
      Guy

7. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding heretical, what about looking at design, instead of engineering. Not the frou-frou swoopy curve ascot tie designer design, but product design, interface design, industrial design. Or if he could be a Cad Jockey and get his foot in the door that way while going to school. I have a friend who majored in Music at, worked 15 years as a Saab Mechanic, and then became an ME. Its do-able, but a long slog. When we hired him though we knew that he would do well because of his real world experience. Don't give up on it.

There are several books by Barbara Sher about deciding what you want and figuring out how to get it, including mid-life career changes. You might look through those for some ideas.

8. cratetech

cratetech Member

Caity,

I live and work near wichita. I went to Butler Community College and I took the Manufacturing Engineering Technology classes there. I got my Associates of Applied Science in Manufacturing Engineering Technology and My credits directly transfered to WSU. Also they have night classes offered in Andover Butler Campus from Kansas State @ Salina for Mechanical Engineering Technology Bachelors. These are actual K-state professors teaching at night in Andover. This might be your husbands best bet. currently I am working to get my bachelors degree in Manufacturing Engineering and Mechanical at WSU. I was hired after 2 years of applying to jobs in the Wichita area. I currently am the design manager for a national company. I wish you the best in your search.