• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Industry Based Learning

Discussion in 'Jobs wanted' started by matt_decat, Mar 15, 2010.

1. matt_decat

matt_decat Member

Hello all,

As I have stated elsewhere, I am a mechanical engineering student from Melbourne, Australia. I am currently in my 4th year of University studies and I am unable to graduate until I have had enough industry experience. At Swinburne (the Uni which I am currently studying at) they have what is called Industry Based Learning (IBL). IBL gives students the opportunity to undertake a full time paid placement in industry for usually in an area relevant to their studies. More information can be found here:

http://www.swinburne.edu.au/spl/ibl/employers.html

Anyway, enough about the Uni. The reason for this post is to ask all the contributors to this forum if they/the company they work for/someone they know/another company they know is willing to give me the opportunity to do my IBL with them.

I have had previous work experience in an electrical cable manufacturing plant, and I am willing to work in any Mechanical industry. I am willing to work in most countries in Europe, Asia and North America, however I only speak English but I am willing to try and learn other languages.

Some of my personal skills/traits are:

-Enthusiastic
      -Willing to learn
      -Concept generation
      -Creative problem solving
      -Organized
      -Ability to work independently and in a team
      -Communication

IT skills:

-Solidworks
      -Microsoft Office
      -Photoshop
      -Matlab and Mathematica

If you require any further information or require a CV or cover letter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Matthew De Brincat

3. matt_decat

matt_decat Member

Thought I would bump this thread because i have recently begun seeking IBL positions so if anyone has an offer, a contact,some information or anything that may help (even if it doesn't end up being of help tell me anyway, because you never know). cheers

4. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Hi Matt - having had a hell of a job trying to find a placement myself when I was in university, I understand how difficult it can be! I hope something comes up. I'll try to put a link to this thread in the next forum newsletter. I couldn't open your link for some reason, but I was wondering - how long does the placement need to be?

One thing you could try is to contact the recruiters on this board. I have PM'd you their email addresses to make things easier.

5. alanho

alanho Active Member

You may want to try internship with my employer (Autodesk).
      We offer internship on a regular basis.

Visit the corporate website for more details.

6. matt_decat

matt_decat Member

Thanks GarethW and alanho for your suggestions. Here is the updated link to the IBL information page for employers: http://www.swinburne.edu.au/ibl/employers/index.html

As for the length of the placement, it is generally a 12 month placement so that I am able to properly work on a project rather than just filing papers for a couple of week, however 6 month placements are also acceptable.