• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Industry vs Job role – which is more important to you?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Archimedes, May 23, 2014.

1. Archimedes

Archimedes Active Member

What is more important to you the industry you work in or the job role you perform within the company?

3. Archimedes

Archimedes Active Member

I will start by saying for me, my job function is far more important than the industry I work in. For me my role has to be Mechanical Design / Mechanical Development / Mechanical innovation …. Whatever you want to call it and it doesn’t really bother me which industry I work in. I have worked in Automotive, Nuclear, Medical, and Aviation … and a few more but the most rewarding role was during my time in the HVAC industry.

A friend of mine is only automotive. He does not care if he is a test driver, in production, designer. He is an engineer (in that he has the degree) but he has also done time finance and HR but only for automotive companies.

4. brads

brads Active Member

Job role is much more important to me. I could be designing the framework for a shower cubical or a space shuttle, it wouldn't matter to me as long as I was designing (not necessarily drawing).