• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Instllation of Wheel on a Shaft Dia 325mm

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Pervaiz, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Pervaiz

Pervaiz New Member

To Dear All,
      We have been repaired a Pitman of Jaw Crusher Made by M/S Weserhutte Germany Model 1500x1200. Year of Manufacture1978
      Now We want to install the Wheels(F.Wheel and Pulley) on the Jaw Crusher which is available at app.6.0meters from ground level.
      Weight of each wheel is 9.00 tons and clearance between Shaft and wheel is .05mm.Dia of Shaft is 325.00 mm on each end. The bore dia of flywheel/pulley is 325.00mm and width of wheel is 450.00mm.
      In order to install the wheels, we have 2x Options​
      Option # 1
      We have to cool down the Shaft with Nitrogen Liquid and wheels will heat up with Burner up to 130C.In this way,w will get sufficient Clearance between shaft and Wheels.I will slide easy on shaft.But we do not know "How much capacity o Nitrogen Liquid require and which type of Apparatus require to apply Nitrogen Liquid on shaft.
      Option #2
      We will cool down the ends of shaft with Dry Ice and Wheels will be heat up as described above.
      Please advice how much Qty of Dry Ice require to do this job? How much time will involve to cool down and what temperature we will achieve on shaft?. How much tolerance will b create between shaft and wheels(How much shaft will Shrink)?
      Material of Shaft is SAE1045 and Material of wheels is Cast Iron.
      We will try to do this job with very carefully but in any case,if wheel is trapped on the shaft in any reasons, what is the best solution to remove the wheel. Ambient Temp is 50C at Site.

3. Antonio_Reis

Antonio_Reis New Member

I'm assuming the wheels will be lowered in the shaft by some crane rigging method.
      In my opinion, the preparation for insertion is more important than the methodology to achieve the temperature differential. If one does not have to struggle with tilting of the wheel and can assure concentrically of the mating surfaces half of the task is done.

To heat the wheels one could use soft copper and hot oil to raise the temperature much above 130 deg C. The wheel can easily be insulated. One can use a Chromalox type heater or make one without much trouble.
      To cool the shaft one could take the same approach by cooper tracing the shaft in the proximity of the fitting area. Using nitrogen and a bit of moisture will get the job done but one could easily run some type of coolant and an heat exchange. If one insulates the shaft one can in the 5 deg C range.

I hope my suggestion opens the debate a bit.