• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Intro FEA book? Suggestions

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by cratetech, Feb 7, 2011.

1. cratetech

cratetech Member

I am an Manufacturing Engineering student (Junior) and I recently got a job as a designer at a local company. I am doing well in the design but my boss would like me to get into the FEA of Autodesk Inventor 2011 Professional.

I have a very BASIC understanding on FEA. Does anyone know of any good intro and then intermediate book to help me understand FEA and then understand how to use Inventors' Stress Analysis tool

I can run the analysis by just clicking the automatic contacts and constraining a couple of face but I do not believe that is giving me entirely dependable results.

Thanks,

Mat

3. StuartKelly

StuartKelly Member

The NAFEMS website (http://www.nafems.org) is a good place to start - there are some resource articles online (look for the Knowledge Base section) and you can also order publications direct from the site.

4. hmck57

hmck57 Member

5. DanStro

DanStro New Member

I don't use Inventor (or Algor) so I can't speak to anything that is specific to them but here are some that I've found useful.

Practical Stress Analysis with Finite Elements by Bryan J. Mac Donald: This will take you from a very basic understanding to a sort of novice understanding.

The Finite Element Method for Solid and Structural Mechanics, Sixth Edition by O. C. Zienkiewicz: is one of a set that goes over the details

Finite Element Procedures by K.J. Bathe: More than you (or at least I) wanted to know about how it can be implemented.

HTH,
      Dan

6. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Thought i'd add that Develop3d - a UK based magazine covering the technology behind the design process - have run a couple of articles in the last couple of months on the basics of FEA. Pretty sure they have a digital version of the mag at http://www.develop3d.com - you'll be after "Engineering workshop #9 and #10"

Hope this helps!

7. cwarner7_11

cwarner7_11 Well-Known Member