• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • inventor

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by sasam, Jul 26, 2010.

1. sasam

sasam Member

What is properly way to convert 3D and 2D drawings from Mechanical desktop2008 to Inventor2008?

3. dsgn2mfg

dsgn2mfg Member

Haven't done this since 2005 and Inventor 9 or 10, but at that time, generally speaking you could open them directly then save them as Inventor parts though you didn't usually get the history file so it was more like working with a derived part and assemblies were like working with a stack of derived parts. 2D needs to be manually converted to 3d. Depending on geometries and what was in the histories sometime you could get that too, especially with simpler parts. I believe it was with Inv 11 but it might have been at 2008 Autodesk stopped supporting MDT and the conversion became much more difficult (fortunately I was done all the conversion - some 8K parts). If I had to do it today I would try to get my hands on an earlier version of Inventor (such as v10) and convert them with that then open them with v2008 (or v2011 now).