• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • iPad Internals

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by Pete, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Been out of the loop for a few weeks as I moved flat and changed jobs at the same time, but came accross this today over on the Develop3D site- a look inside the iPad. Regular readers around here will know that at the best of times, I find Apple a lot like marmite.... kinda of... I love and hate them in equal measure depending on which way the wind blows. This article has put a fair sized tick in the love it box!

• Like Like x 1
    3. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Good fine, Pete.

Here are a few more pics I came across on the web:
      Source: Gizmodo

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

4. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Another article:
      Title: Hey, look at that: iFixit's ripping an iPad to shreds
      Author: Laura June
      Source: Engadget.com

5. wizardofid

wizardofid Active Member

iFixit has been doing the rounds virally ever since they published the tear down. I have a few observations and questions.

1. Apple sold 300,000 iPads on opening night and presumably about twice that many by now. Yet, the process by which the single major shell is created is CNC milling (aluminum), which we know to be a relatively slow process compared to pressure die casting. The only way they could have scaled up is to ask the manufacturer to increase number of milling machines, or contract multiple manufacturers to do the same thing

2. How do they bond the glass to the plastic around the display?

3. How does the 'digital soft switch' work? Is this similar to the iPhone? Have they done away with failure prone mechanical tact switches?

6. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Very good point with no.1 and i have no idea but would like to find out! Same for no. 3.

2. I suspect they could have used the same method of bonding thet screen to the body as is used in Automotive Engineering - aren't car windscreens effectively glued to the body now?

7. Camid

Camid Well-Known Member

Guys

Your answer to Q1 in within this youtube clip (later on in the clip). t0fe800C2CU&feature=related

Watch this for speed - JCzFqRU94qE&feature=related

Aluminium is a great material for rapid machining (we have used this process in rapid prototyping aluminium castings). Note that Apple start with an extrusion to cut a few operations out. While the machining time does not match a single injection mold cycle they save on assembly and part costs down the line. Also what value does a customer place on a stronger assembly and the true cost of providing that? (Value Analysis) The only downside is having to get wi-fi through a metal box....
      Matching the plastic parts to the rapid machining marks is also great lateral thinking. I will have to remember that one!

Wonderful examples of 'true industrial design' I think.

8. wizardofid

wizardofid Active Member

Camid

Thanks for sharing those videos. I thought Apple would have created pressure die cast sets before machining them. Extrusions are a crazy starting point for the thicker products.

And the 'no draft angles' allows for more pure form.