• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • iPhone gripe.....

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by mvalenti, Mar 9, 2010.

1. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

Ok I bit the bullet and bought an iPhone 3G. Cool lil gadget. Love the bluetooth streaming music! And all the lil apps... But in order to upgrade firmware... I need iTunes... WHY??? I can download apps on the fly why not firmware! I run Ubuntu 9.04 64bit on my laptop... iTunes not supported... okay... so i partition for xp64 haaaa thats not supported either! WTF!!!! I'm seriously thinking of jailbreaking my iPhone... I wont even get into no adobe flash capabilities on the iPhone..... grrrrrr....

3. silva3design

silva3design Member

For that reason and some more is that I opted for Nokia 5800XM ... is a beautiful and very functional smartphone ... and in my opinion it complies with everything the iPhone has ... and the Nokia is much cheaper ... and comes with GPS and free navigation

4. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

Ok its been a while and I thought I'd repost....

Iphone 3g Issues thus far...
      -Cant synch with Ubuntu no itunes either
      -3 software upgrades each ended in a total phone reset..
      -4.0 sucked... i mean hard, not in the good way either.
      -reinstalled the last stable version before 4.0...
      -No installable extra memory...

5. 47ford

47ford Guest

-iPhone is great if you have a mac (as do I), and ok if you have a PC (I don't have experience). I can see being frustrated with no iTunes for Ubuntu, not sure what to say about that. You could complain to Apple, not sure if that would do any good, but...
      -Never had a problem with upgrades ending in a total phone reset. Did have that with the DOWNGRADE (From 4.0.2, to 3.1.3)
      -4.0 definitely bogged down the 3G (personal experience as well as other users), don't know about the 3GS. I haven't heard any complaints from iPhone 4 users yet.
      -Myself and many others don't like having to go 4 layers down to turn on/off sync bluetooth devices, should be closer to a top level setting).
      -bluetooth streaming audio is good for the most part, but I've had some issues while streaming to my motorola bluetooth audio/hands free headphones/helmet earpads, including not being able to skip forward/backward from the controls on the motorola device, worked great with my friends SYNC in his Ford Focus though.
      -no flash: 50/50 on that being an issue...

Overall I'm happy with my iPhone 3G, I'ld like a newer one, but will wait either for the iPhone5 or maybe even an iPhone6 (depending on how long I feel I can live with the 3G). Hard to justify $300 every two years to get a new one, especially when the old one is still working. Also with rumors of Verizon finally getting the iPhone this coming year (2011) I'm curious to see how that plays out, though I'll PROBABLY stay with AT&T.