• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • iPhone ps3 controller case

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Proevofanatik, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Proevofanatik

Proevofanatik New Member

I'm a total novice at making plastic molds. Never ever made one. But what I would like to attempt is an iPhone case that can attach to a ps3 controller. This would make my iPhone into a psp like device. I have my iPhone jailbroken and I'm able to connect my ps3 controller to my iPhone through Bluetooth to play games. So if my iPhone was mounted above my ps3 controller I can play games with my ps3 pad in comfort.

I was able to make one with an old iPhone case, a foreman grill scraper and a couple of screws. But I'm looking for something less rough if you know what I mean. So is there a way I can take a mold if my iPhone and ps3 controller and make a mountable case for my iPhone?

3. BDry

BDry New Member

Hi Proevofanatik,
      For exactly this type of one off application you can look to use a rapid prototyping process (often referred to a 3D printing). There are very many suppliers for this type of service if you can give them a particular type of 3D file (usually filename.stl). I recommend you have a look at www.shapeways.com as a potenial supplier and they have many links on their site that explain what you need to do to give them the file type they need. You will need to do some 3D modelling and finding and learning some software could be a barrier but only you can tell. Shapeways White Strong Flexible (WSF) or black in the same process should give you plenty of strength for the type of thing you want to do. If you come up with a good design you can even let others use it with some royalties to you on this site. Good luck