• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Is a career move into sales seen as the next step for a design engineer?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Archimedes, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Archimedes

Archimedes Active Member

3. Archimedes

Archimedes Active Member

A good friend of mine has recently told me that he has moved job roles in his company. I have always considered him to be a very talented mechanical design engineer however he has now moved into the sales and marketing department. He explained that this was the only path available for career progression (more money) as he was already at the limit of what was possible in the engineering department. We then through a list other engineers we know who have done the same thing. A lot of people see this as a promotion! I disagree with this.

This career move is obviously common place in the industry. However I believe these are two completely different job roles with different skill sets and a good design engineer with strong product knowledge does not necessarily make a good salesman.

The other thing I would like to add is that it is very unusual for salesmen to move into the design department.

4. Erich

Erich Well-Known Member

If you have the personality to thrive in sales, you don't need to ask that question on a forum.

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

=SHUDDER=

If you're a good design engineer, you'll never be happy as a salesman. If you would be a good salesman, then you probably weren't a top designer. Not only different skill sets, but completely different personalities are required.

A similar situation is where an engineer moves "up" into management. "Up" from a pay standpoint, but job satisfaction is another matter. I know I wouldn't be happy in sales or management.

6. kevin136

kevin136 Well-Known Member

I agree with Dana,personality plays a big role in this transformation.But sometimes,as someone say you never know what you can do till you try. Presently, mechanical in China at a low salary level,so many young people prefer to be a salesman rather than engineer.

7. KarenL9

KarenL9 Member

It depends on your personality, what kind of engineer you are and the position. I could not be a pure salesperson as I am too creative. I could be a sales engineer as it straddles the sales world and engineering world. Every role is different and I would think that a role in a company selling directly to engineers in areospace, automotive, medical device manufacturers and even space project would be very involved and interesting.