• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Is there a problem swapping motors with different amps?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by brads, Apr 13, 2015.

1. brads

brads Active Member

As part of a re-design on one of our products we are intending to swap the motors we currently use with more compact ones. The amps the new motor is rated to is less than the original. These motors are powered from an electronic board which just switches the motors on and off. I can’t find the spec for the board so I can’t find what this output is rated to. I can contact the manufacturer of the board, but their response time is typically a few weeks.

So will either the motor or the electronic board be damaged if I swap a 3 amp motor with a 1 amp motor? The voltages are the same on both motors.

3. RFlores

RFlores New Member

The electronic board won't be affected if you swap the motor with lower amps as long as the voltage is the same, but you should check if the board is a Direct-on-Line starter (only switches the motor on/off applying full voltage), in that case you may have the same electronic board. Also since you are changing the Motor, I assume that the 1 AMP motor power (HP) will suffice to carry out the load.

4. brads

brads Active Member

Thanks for your response.

I have just checked and I can’t see anywhere in the board specification that states it is ‘Direct-on-Line starter’, but I have measured the voltage and it is a consistent 230v from this output when active which is exactly what I need for both types of pump.

The new smaller pump is more than adequate for the application, the original pump was over kill for the original specification and the customer has agreed that they over specified the original speciation (that’s a tongue twister).

That’s for your help.

5. RFlores

RFlores New Member

I guess you meant Motor instead of ´pump´or you are talking about an ANSI Pump with a pump integrated with a Motor?. Please clarify, since a pump requires a rated motor with enough power to operate through all the Q-H Curve, also bear in mind the site elevation conditions (AMSL), for a possible derrating on the Motor.

In any case , the electronic board will work for both Motors, since it only switches on/off with the direct line, and probably the life span of the board could be longer since the current accross the line would be less.

Regards,