• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Large Aluminium Part Manufacturer

Discussion in 'Metal casting & moulding' started by Sam81, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Sam81

Sam81 New Member

Hi,

I am working on a university project and am trying to find the best way to manufacture the part in the attached image out of aluminium if the product was put into production, but because of it's size I'm not sure what the best option would be, it would also be best if there was a hole running through it.

I'm not sure if it would work but I read some information on slush casting but don't know much about, I don't actually have to get it made, just specify the process which would be used.

If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
      Sam.

[​IMG]

3. Strambo

Strambo Member

Looks like a street light. What are the units of measure? When you say "a hole running through it", do you mean the part is hollow, like a tube?

4. Sam81

Sam81 New Member

Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to say that all measurements are in millimetres. The part is a post for an outdoor canopy and a small motor retracts the cover at the top so it needs to be hollow for the wiring to run back to the ground.

Thanks.

5. Allfat

Allfat Member

Does it need to be made in one piece?

If you simplify the design, you could have it fabricated from bent pieces of tubing fairly easily. You may still have to have parts cast, but if you could just cast the parts that are more difficult to fabricate, then you could save a lot of money over casting it all as one piece. Say, just cast the head and the base, then make the rest from fabricated, bent aluminum tubing.

6. Franz_fladic

Franz_fladic Member

The OD is just 50mm and height is above 2500mm as showed on the picture, consider it's a hollow or tube parts, i don't believe aluminum is strong enough.

7. No Aluminum also works fine....:D