• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Lead Screw model in Creo and calculations

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by inamukak, Feb 21, 2014.

1. inamukak

inamukak Member

Hi

I'm trying to make a lead screw in Creo which would be used to move a 400lb load linearly along the ground. This would be turned manually using a lever (lever is rotated to start the mechanism). I have used a lead screw with a major diameter of 1 1/4 and determined the torque to move the load would be around 36.70 lb-in. What I'm unable to determine is the speed at which this would move the load a total distance of 3 feet, and if it would be possible to change this speed so that the lever doesn't have to be turned for quite a lot of time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Both the torque and the speed depend on the pitch of the leadscrew, which you haven't specified. A lower pitch (fewer threads per inch) gives more linear speed but also more torque required to drive it.

4. inamukak

inamukak Member

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I took a TPI of 4 and etermined the torque required to move the load. I was basically looking for a way to related the RPM and the linear velocity, which I have figured out now.
      Also, I'm trying to determine the fail conditions for the L-shaped support holding the lead screw and the lever, but I have no clue where to start. I've been trying to run simulations in Creo to determine this but to no avail. What stresses and strains should I take into consideration? And how will a force or torque on the lever lead to failure of the support?

Thanks!