• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Looking for a very simple mechanism to retract a pin

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by john12, Jan 10, 2019.

1. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Hey all,

I'm looking for a simple mechanism - I've got it on the tip of my tongue (so the speak) but can't quite figure out how it might work.

Basically - imagine a box, with a push button on the top face and a pin/stud on the bottom face. When you push the button downwards the pin should retract upwards (think similar to those mechanisms in extending suitcase handles).

So the pin needs to move in the opposite direction to button. I know I could do this with a sort of see-saw pivot, but I'm trying to keep it as simple and compact as possible.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

A lever ("see-saw pivot" as you call it) is the simplest way. Or you could do it with cables and pulleys, or a push-pull cable, or gears, or pneumatics, or electric solenoids, or magnets, or any other Rube Goldberg technique.

4. Mark_Armstrong

Mark_Armstrong Member

How far does it need to retract?

5. tmark938

tmark938 Moderator EngineeringClicks Expert

Do you have a simple diagram of what the box will look like?

6. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I agree, see-saw pivot would be the easiest to implement but if you want something with less moving parts then use the electric solenoid, it also works very well.
      But I think you will need to decide based on other restrictions of the system you are designing. If there are any other restriction that you want to put on it, then we can suggest better.

7. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

It can look like anything but the simpler the better. The pin only needs to retract 5mm or so (it's to unlock a sliding part), so I was thinking the box would literally just be a small box with the push button on top.

Solenoid is a good idea but the entire product is unpowered so it won't work in this case.

I was thinking of something using angled/sloped sections which push against each, but it seems like a lever would be the best approach.

Thanks for the replies!