• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Loop knot and hook benefits

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by cknight, Jun 23, 2021.

1. cknight

cknight New Member

Hi guys, I'm new here, but I'd like to see if someone can help explain the benefits of this type of anchoring device shown in the attached picture. Instead of simply tying a rope to the cross bar "A", the rope goes over the bar "A" and latches to the hook part "B". This device seems to be a type of plastic loop knot, but maybe its called something else? To be clear, I'm not talking about the knot on the rope, but the plastic part that the rope is attached to. What are the benefits to using a device like this to anchor a load to a wall or ceiling? Why is this better than simply tying only to the cross bar "A"? And finally, does it split the force between the hook and cross bar? This part is made for a hammock, but I would like to make something similar in order to hold a greater load that can potentially relieve some of the downward force on the anchor screws.
      Thanks in advance.
      Anchor hook.png

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

It's easy to remove without untying the knot, which can be difficult once it's been tensioned.