• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • M23 thread - what Ø pilot hole?

Discussion in 'Machining' started by GarethW, Sep 21, 2011.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

What diameter pilot hole should be used prior to tapping an M23 thread with a pitch of 1mm?

Material being machined is aluminium.

3. PWASS

PWASS Well-Known Member

Gareth

The quick way to calculate the tapping size of a metric thread is to subtract the pitch from the diameter, so in your case it would be 22mm.

4. GarethW

That's great - thanks very much :)

5. kevinsmithuk

kevinsmithuk New Member

A 1mm pitch thread has a depth of 0.6134mm therefore the drilling size would be 2 x 0.6134 = 1.2268
      This size should then be subtracted from the thread diameter, giving a tapping size of 21.7732mm ... which is 55/64" as near as makes no odds.
      Drilling at 22mm would cause truncation of the thread although this may not be a problem for what you are making.

6. PWASS

PWASS Well-Known Member

All the engineering charts state the tapping size is 19.0mm for a M20 x 1 thread.

7. kevinsmithuk

kevinsmithuk New Member

The charts you use are actually incorrect and have been rounded up to the nearest size.
      For the majority of design or engineering applications, this is considered to be close enough.

Having completed an engineering apprenticeship, manufacturing components for the aerospace industry and having spent over 30 years in that industry from shop floor to senior management prior to entering Further Education, I was always taught that near enough isn't good enough and if you're going to make something, make it right.

The drill size should be 18.77mm (18.75mm or 47/64" which is slightly smaller. Drills never cut smaller than their stated size and most often cut slightly larger due to inaccurate grinding)
      Drilling with a larger diameter drill will cause slight truncation of the thread, which was never acceptable to my inspection department, however would probably be acceptable for most applications.

8. GarethW

Guys - thanks but it's M23 I'm looking for.

9. kevinsmithuk

kevinsmithuk New Member

See response #4

10. GarethW

Cheers - that's what I've gone for. I was just interested in hearing the other guys responses rather than drift off-topic.