• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • making a miniature scuba-second-stage-like regulator

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by wizardofid, Jul 28, 2016.

1. wizardofid

wizardofid Active Member

Hi,
      I'm working on what (I now think) is schematically similar to a scuba diving second stage regulator. Fundamentally, it uses normal lung inspiration to move a diaphragm, or piston, which in turn moves a lever that opens a valve to a tiny tank under high pressure (about 3-4 bar). i.e. the diaphragm and lever are the mechanical advantage for normal lung inspiration (about 1.4 CIW) to open the valve. I have no ambient pressure and temperature issues (not underwater), but size is a concern. Tending to tiny is good. A real scuba regulator size is gargantuan.

Would anyone know where I can access a cut section, or reasonably accurate, 3D CAD files of an adjustable or non-adjustable scuba second stage regulator for reference? Or any design-engineering tips is much appreciated.

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

How is this different from any other pressure regulator? The only thing I see is that since the regulated pressure is so low, the diaphragm must be relatively large to provide enough working force to operate the valve.