• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Manual timer to change message

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by thomd, Oct 14, 2013.

1. thomd

thomd Member

Hi.

I am trying to figure out the best way to design a mechanical timer that will display a message while the timer is running, then flip to the default message when the timer has elapsed. This is exactly like the timers on the UPS boxes that say, "Picked Up" after the carrier empties a UPS drop box and a little while later it flips to "Not Picked Up". I was thinking I could put a cam on a mechanical kitchen timer and have that cam lift something and after time elapsed it would drop it back down, but thinking there might be a better way. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advise.

Thom

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Nowadays it would almost certainly be cheaper (and more reliable) to do it with electronics.

4. thomd

thomd Member

No doubt dana, but my idea requires a mechanical spring timer. I need to have the time raise and lower a flag, like a parking meter.

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

If it must be mechanical, a cam sounds like the simplest way to go.

6. thomd

thomd Member

Can anyone give me advise on how to get an idea I have designed and prototyped? I have a pretty simple idea, but need to get it designed and have a prototype built.

7. thomd

thomd Member

Hi Dana. I'm starting to think about going electric. I would need a timer with three buttons, all with preset times and they would display a message for the amount of time associated with each button. Any idea where I can buy the parts for this?

8. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

There are all kinds of electronic timers made nowadays. Whether there's something exactly like what you want, I don't know, but something could certainly be made with an Arduino processor (used by lots of hobbyists). Not my area of expertise though. You might want to find a hobby electronics forum to ask your questions.