• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Mechanical design engineers needs help with motors!

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by enjinear, Oct 14, 2015.

1. enjinear

enjinear New Member

Hi, all! This is my first post and thank you in advance for your help.

I'm a mechanical design engineer who is pretty good with the nuts and bolts stuff but I'm working on a home project that is entering new territory for me. It needs a **gasp** MOTOR. Typically with home projects all I need is a little help getting started in the right direction so I don't waste a bunch of time and maybe money up front, so here's where you come in! :) Basically what I want to do is use a motor to turn at a relatively low torque and relatively low speed, maybe like in the 100 rpm realm, so we can assume something with relatively low HP. After about oh... 10 rotations (exact position isn't super super critical) I would like to have the motor freewheel in the reverse direction, back to it's original position (10 rotations ago) then stop. The stop may have to be mechanical and have nothing to do with the motor, I get that, but just wanted to describe what I'm after. The motor's purpose is to give energy to a spring, then release. I'd really appreciate any advice about similar mechanisms and what type of motor (stepper but what kind? Other type completely?). After that, I know some guys at work that can help with the controller coding part. Thanks!

-Alison, PE

3. CPPMable

CPPMable Well-Known Member

I guess I am a little confused on the question because it seems like you are going down the right path. I would agree a stepper motor is going to be the easiest method. I would say get something with an encoder so you can track the position and make your mechanism a bit simpler. Also probably go with a unipolar motor to simplify the circuit required but with the motor drivers available not the critical either since both are pretty common.

4. enjinear

enjinear New Member

Thanks for the reply, CPPMable! I am also confused because I think I have a direction but am so new to this I'm not sure about what I don't know. For example I know what an encoder is but wouldn't guess that one would be specifically helpful in this application, thinking I could achieve it simpler... maybe by knowing the angular velocity of the motor, I could ensure to only drive the motor via a controller for x seconds, knowing that would give me my "reel-in" distance that I need. These little things I don't know about but am confident I could figure out with a little guidance. I asked a self-proclaimed "garage guy" at work and he suggested a clutch bearing would be helpful for the free-wheel part.

Do you have any good references or hobby sites that you think would be helpful for me for circuit design and controller parts for this? Thanks in advance :)

5. CEP Product Design

CEP Product Design New Member