• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • mechanical design for groove

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by sml2010, May 8, 2014.

1. sml2010

sml2010 New Member

Hi

I need a mechanical mechanism for create some groove on the wood.

number of Grooves are 30 and distance between each groove is 4 mm to the next and the wide of each groove is 2 mm it is like a comb tooth

i find a machine that create comb tooth but i don't understand what mechanism does it used.

here is the link of that video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voORtewQ10U&feature=youtu.be

Can you please help me to know what mechanical mechanism can help me?

I am wait for your help.

Thank you

3. Lochnagar

Lochnagar Well-Known Member

There appears to be an error with the video link you have posted?? Can you please fix the link - or post another link.

4. Lochnagar

Lochnagar Well-Known Member

I see what you are trying to do now that the video is fixed. Basically, the man is doing two things:-

1) He is incrementing the wood from left to right (by a few millimetres with each movement of the right hand handle) - which is allowing the saw blade to cut into the wood at the correct horizontal position.

2) He is moving the wood into the saw blade and out of the saw blade with the left hand handle.

The first operation (item 1 above) can be performed with a ratchet mechanism. The ratchet would need to be attached to a leadscrew - which would then move a nut along the leadscrew - as he rotates the ratchet. See the Youtube video of a bi-directional ratchet.

The second operation (item 2 above) can be performed with a very simple lever mechanism.

However, the question you are probably going to ask is how does the man get the ratchet back to the start position - for the next pieces of wood. I suspect the man does not stand there and increment the ratchet all the way back to the start point. So I suspect that the man loads the wood in the opposite direction to the direction he loaded it - when the table moved from left to right. Thus the man would be able to cut wood in both directions - thus from left to right and from right to left.

However, I couldn't help but feel sorry that this man probably has to do this job for maybe 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year. So it would be good to see you automate the system - though the down side of that is you will probably do the man out of a job. It is a tough world!!

Hope this is of some help.

V4yxGR4d7l8