• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Mechanical Design ideas

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by mohamed.elsabagh, Dec 21, 2011.

1. mohamed.elsabagh

mohamed.elsabagh Member

I need a book or a reference to provide me with basic mechanical ideas because I am a beginner in mechanical design. I would like for example to design a robot. I know how to use solid works but the problem is that I don't where to start from.

3. other

other Member

I like robot too, but to design a robot is not easy , it need not only mechanic also electrical... , I think you may start will some electrical toy:p

4. tonycro

tonycro Well-Known Member

you don't need a CAD system to design a robot, you can do it on a scrap of paper if needed. What you need to know what you want you're design to do; then write a design brief and keep to it.

Once you have a brief, maybe even build a prototype in Lego or meccano, then you'll start to see what you don't know !

As a general guide, you need to look at; beams, mechanisms, static and dynamic loads, materials, control systems.

tony.

5. mohamed.elsabagh

mohamed.elsabagh Member

don't worry about electrical design I can manage :) but my problem is with the mechanical design

6. cct3000

cct3000 Member

How many degree of freedom you want your robot arm have it? 3? 5? or more? you want a simple pick and place arm? or you want a robotic arm that can do MIG welding or even Painting? the more complicated the motion , the more degree of freedom you have to encounter.

go to http://www.traceparts.com/ for detail of 3D model of mechanical components that you can find in the market. that can let you choose for what you want to use in your design.

if you want to define your arm motion is only move in X, Y, Z axis , and the gripper is only open and close linearly , then you can simplify the design task.

7. cct3000

cct3000 Member

pick and place motion is mostly like this --> see the demo video on this website http://www.ar.be/