• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Mechanical design question

Discussion in 'Help, info & forum announcements' started by ap91, Oct 8, 2015.

1. ap91

ap91 New Member

Hello Guys,

i am working on a problem for which I need your help. Here is the problem

There is one ice cream factory deploying a new type of ice cream.

However, this new process requires constant monitoring of the solidification process by a trained technician. This is accomplished by visual observation through a 1⁄4†thick glass porthole with a 1’ diameter. The ice cream is formed on the inside surface of the porthole at -5°F. Since the glass is in contact with the ice cream its cool surface causes water to condense out of the humid factory air and then freeze to the surface.

The plant owners would like to implement a device that keeps the porthole clear of ice for easy viewing while not introducing a large energy load on the machine. I would like to Prepare a simple description of solution concept. Remember, the internal ice cream process must be visually monitored.

3. cjbarz

cjbarz New Member

How about a sealed transparent (glass or plastic) cover over the porthole?
      Evacuate the air between the cover and the porthole face to remove the moisture and provide insulation.

4. K.I.S.S.

K.I.S.S. Well-Known Member

Place a small CCTV camera on the glass porthole when the machine is not operating, hermetically seal it with a cover of your choice and let the technician watch the freezing process on a monitor.