• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Mechanical design question

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by drifting, May 21, 2011.

1. drifting

drifting New Member

May 2011
      I am DIY a simple mechanical device for an art project I am working on.
      A gif animation of the device can be seen as following

Basically I want the arms being able to move up and down as the circle disk spins. I also want the whole device to rotate clock-wisely every 90 degree angle (this is not shown in the gif animation, it requires 3d animation). It does not need to be very extremely actuate.

The device should be about 16 inches tall. I am planning to use wood for most parts. I have searched servo motors and geneva mechanism motors. There are a ton of them to choose online. I am lost! since I do not know anything about mechanical design.

Can anyone tell me in my case, what are the motors that will fit my design? (ie: their power? , price? etc.) Since I am DIYing, I would like the most cost effective motors.

if there is something wrong with my design, or it can be simplified, please feel free to let me know. Thanks.
    3. bcvanbelle

bcvanbelle New Member

May 2011
      The size of the motor required depends on the load. From your GIF it's not clear what the loads are on the structure, other than friction. If that is the case the motor wouldn't need to be big at all. You could start off by playing around using an electric drill as a temporary power source and see how much power you need.
      What you haven't described is where the motor will fit. I assume the arms are on either side of the post. In that case you would want to mount the motor at the base and have a gear to drive the discs.

Perhaps something like this: http://www.waynedaltonparts.com/Linear- ... 00010.html

I think the Geneva drive is an elegant solution to turn the post!

Don't forget to show us pics or movies when you're done.