• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Mechanical design terms

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by mohamed.elsabagh, Mar 23, 2012.

1. mohamed.elsabagh

mohamed.elsabagh Member

Hi all, I am trying to find someone to do for me a mechanical design and I asked him for some designs and he told me about his output design files but I didn't understand what those files are so I need any help.
      The files names are
      1- Industry design:

a- Three ideas drawings, JPG files.
      b- Color schemes.
      c- Silk screen drawing.

2- Mechanical design:

a- 3D drawing.
      b- 2D drawing.
      c- other technical files.

I need to know the purpose of each file because he gave me his prices and time line but I can't really evaluate the price or the time. Please I need quick help.

3. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Hi there. Is your requirement for a design of a part or an assembly?

My expectations of what you receive are below in blue:

1- Industry design: I assume this is supposed be be "industial design"? These are usually files relating to the appearance and fundamental operation of the product, communicating how the user will interact with it.

a- Three ideas drawings, JPG files. 3 images in .jpeg format each containing a different idea for the design.
      b- Color schemes. A file (perhaps also in .jpeg format) containing views of the design in different colours.
      c- Silk screen drawing. This is a drawing of printed graphics. Will your design have a printed artwork on it somewhere?

2- Mechanical design: this covers the mechanical engineering aspects of the design

a- 3D drawing. I presume that this is a 3D CAD model, but I would clarify this, just in case.
      b- 2D drawing. This could just be a basic drawing containing a few 2D views of the design. However if it's a proper job, I would expect a detailed engineering drawing showing dimensioned views of the design. This drawing should also contain info on material, surface finish, dimensional tolerances - all the additional info you would need to actually manufacture the part (example shown below). Probably best to check how much detail they will give you.
      c- other technical files. Who knows! I suggest you ask from more info on this.

To be sure I would ask for a bit more detail, especially in areas I have indicated above. Please let us know how you get on.

Example of an engineering drawing:
      engineering3.jpg

4. mohamed.elsabagh

mohamed.elsabagh Member

First of all I would like to thank you for your reply,
      My requirement is assembly not parts, actually now days I am in china doing some searches for mechanical design suppliers and manufacturers so i would appreciate any suggestions, I would prefer to find mechanical part manufacturer who got technical departments which I can give them my drawings to revise and give me some technical advice on it.

5. Jason zhang

Jason zhang New Member

Hi,let me tell you
      normally, a product design include Industry design (ID) and mechanical design (MD), ID just show you the ideas, like shape, color,
      texts,surface treatment on product,etc, it is cosmetics. MD is for manufacturing with structure,tolorence, it is for factory to make the product . ID confirmed then MD start.

I am also a mechnical designer in Shenzhen, China. if you need, I can help you.