• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Mechanical Engineering (Felony?)

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by clypso2013, Jan 22, 2015.

1. clypso2013

clypso2013 New Member

Hello forum! Ok so I planned on starting college this august for Mechanical Engineering. Now I have some worries about the field because by the time I finish it will be 8-9 years ago from a felony conviction "Harassment of a public servant" charge I had. I was wondering is this something that will hold me back from getting a job? Should I just go for Petro eng. instead? I heard a lot of felons are in the oil industry so I was thinking perhaps I would be better off doing that. I would appreciate some honest advice before I dedicate myself into this field. I am currently in Houston, Texas. Thank you

3. thebestjake

thebestjake Member

What might hold you back is saying there are a lot of felons in O&G ;)

No discipline of engineering is more or less accommodating to a criminal past. You might have some trouble if you wanted a PE License so I would avoid a job that requires that (HVAC for example).

Do what you enjoy, work hard, and you will find a job.

Plenty of people with a criminal record get hired as engineers. Be honest and upfront. Explain what and why. And the important part, what you learned, and why your criminal past is in the past. 8 years is a lot of time between you and a conviction. Just don't get popped for a DUI or anything else between now and then.

FYI there are more mechanical engineers in O&G than Petroleum. Petroleum engineers do a very specific part. MEs are everywhere. A much broader application of a degree.