• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Mechanical Flip Flop , I would like some examples?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Dave B, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Dave B

Dave B Active Member

I have on occasion needed to use a mechanical device grab and release something with a simple push.
      Finding references of different linkages that do this are not easily found.
      Since flip flops are used in electronics and software most web searches reference one of these concepts.

If anyone has examples of a group of linkages that do this, I think many of us could benefit.

Examples:
      A retractable ball point pen.
      Push on the cap will move the writing tip out of the body and latch it extended.
      Push same cap same way a second time will unlatch the tip and allow it to be retracted.

Old style pen plotter carriage pick pen, release pen from a carousel

My current application is a robotic arm moving in a tight place needs to, on occasion, latch to a rod below a tray
      pull the tray out on its rack and then release the tray with a similar motion that caused it to engage.

Dave

3. Erich

Erich Well-Known Member

There are cabinet latches that push to latch and push to release.

One of the HP large format inkjet printers used a similar motion to connect the carrriage to the paper cutter.

4. Dave B

Dave B Active Member

Erich
      Thanks your right the cabinet latch is a good example.
      I was a former R&D engineer at HP and used some of those designs.
      What I would like to do is generate a number of sketches of different linkages used in flip flops for reference later when inspiration is needed.
      I think the cabinet latch is probably the simplest design of those suggested so far.

Thanks
      Dave

5. Erich

Erich Well-Known Member

I suspected that, from your mention of pen plotter carousels.

Here is a hint. Aetas loop forming machine redesign........ :)