• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Mechanical improvement during rowing

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by martindetuede, Nov 20, 2009.

1. martindetuede

martindetuede New Member

Hello
      I expect that my problem will never have been heard of before but the principle mainly concerns levers I think..
      I am an above knee amputee rower aiming to optimise power and reduce wasted energy.
      I have a carbon fibre sprint foot the same as Oscar Pistorius (the sprinter who's frequently involved with the able vs disabled olympic debate) and I am intending to attach this to the boat via a clip in pedal at the toe. I can adjust the length of my prosthesis from hip to knee, or from knee to toe, but the overall length must remain similar to my sound leg. The power comes from my hip (glutes, hamstrings). The knee unit gives a wide range of movement and gives minimal resistance so is just a hinge I suppose.
      Could anyone offer any advice re. position of toe eg. higher/lower on the footplate. Longer/shorter lever hip to knee etc. Im not very good at working this out so I'd be grateful of any help. I expect that it will create some controversy when I use it to race - I've been v successful with a basic prosthesis and just a little extra may help me to get onto the GB rowing team. Thanks in advance

3. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

i know this is a stale thread, but I just saw it.

I would put the 'knee' as close to your hip as possible - put it right at the end of the stump- that way you get a longer range of angular motion of the leg, at a lower load. my impression of rowing is that it is more strength limited than rate limited and so this would help for your amputated leg. it would however limit the range of motion, ie, the length you could slide your seat. Then, to help with the controvery, try to remove any energy storage in the prosthetic. Tat is the real issue with the sprinter's legs - energy storage. Of course it is largely irrelevant to rowing.

4. martindetuede

martindetuede New Member

Very interesting thanks for that!
      I was assuming that energy storage would be useful but I'll give it a go with a stiffer blade foot instead