• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Mechanical Lever Design

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by vancouver reefer, Feb 10, 2011.

1. vancouver reefer

vancouver reefer New Member

Hi All,

im in the planning stage of building my new aquarium an im wanting to make the hood so it can be lifted straight up above the aquarium so i can work in the aquarium with the light still covering the tank, but 1ft higher.

So im trying to design a lever mechanism that will allow me to pull on the front of the hood and move it up to the open position.
      Imagine placing a glass of water ontop of the hood, grab the front of the hood and do a reverse rowing action, moving the hood towards you, up and then back, all while keeping the hood flat as to not spill any water out of the glass.

Heres a pic to help with the concept:

[​IMG]

Ive been trying all sort of designs and making card levers but to no avail :idea:

What are your thoughts? Oh and going vertically up with winch, linear actuators etc is just no fun and too easy, lets get the grey matter working on this one!!!

VR

3. sozen

sozen Member

so, what about linear upward levering like a scissors mechanism?
      like this:
      [​IMG]

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Use four links, one at each corner of the hood. The length of the link is half of the total vertical motion. In the lower position the links are vertical, the fixed pivot point directly above the pivot point on the hood. The hood moves through a 180° arc while remaining level.

At the top, you can either use some sort of latch, or let it move a bit overcenter past the 180°/vertical point, so it stays there.

5. xmechanic

xmechanic Active Member

What just popped in my head was I have seen something similar in an automobile hood except for the end result was not a level hood. The hood came forward as it went up, cant remember what car sorry. Some sort of scissor arrangement.