• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Mechanical Pulsatile Pump (Design and manufacturing)

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by zachaboi, Mar 14, 2015.

1. zachaboi

zachaboi New Member

I am designing a Mechanical pulsatile pump as a senior design project. I am thinking of making it by using a Cam and piston method. For flow variation behavior I have taken the flow variation of a human Heart.
      I need suggestions for design are there any other methods to get a pulsatile(flow varrying like heart) flow?
      Note I have to fabricate it as well.

3. PierArg

PierArg Well-Known Member

Hi Zachaboi,

in a piston pump the flow pulsation depends by the number of pistons. A single piston pump has a much more irregular flow than a 5 piston pump.

To have a behaviour similar to the human heart you could work on the piston number and cam angle.
      For example a two-piston pump with a small cam angle between them could be a solution.

4. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

I think a single piston and a custom cam is a very nice solution to this. you may have to make some trade-offs between good cam design and flow requirements. Good cam design needs finite jerk, and the flow profile may require infinite jerk, but you should be able to balance these. If you wanted it to be programmable variable pulsatile flow you could use a stepper motor and vary the timing of the pulses. That would give you a fixed volume/ pulse, but would allow you to vary the shape and speed of the pulse. the cam would only allow you to change the speed but not the shape.