• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Microdrilling stainless steel

Discussion in 'Machining' started by wizardofid, Mar 22, 2011.

1. wizardofid

wizardofid Active Member

Hi

I'm looking to create a sieve (or something similar) via micro-drilling stainless steel. This is so that any liquid poured into a jar/ tumbler with this sieve pattern would *slowly* release the liquid (even water).

Has anyone here used microdrilling before that can do this? Do you know how to specify it? I'm ruling out the use of specialty real drills like they use to create fuel injector nozzles. I'm guessing we need a laser approach.

Would you know of any resources that can do this in India/ China/ Elsewhere in Asia?

Cheers
      Vinay

3. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Interesting. I've not really come across this process before. Could photochemical machining be another process option at all? You can go down to 0.13mm diameter, and no stresses are induced because it's a chemical process!

4. AndrewNew

AndrewNew Well-Known Member

How thick is the material you want to make holes in and what is the hole diameter? Presumably the hole geometry will be governed by the fluid properties. You could add water jet cutting to your list. It will cut holes down to about 0.5 mm in diameter, which might be small enough if the hole length was long enough.