• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Modding a notebook to make it a Quadro?? Using RivaTuner

Discussion in '2D and 3D CAD general discussion forum' started by thebigconsultant, Nov 21, 2011.

1. thebigconsultant

thebigconsultant Active Member

Hi,

I urgently need a Quadro capable laptop for 3D CAD and SolidWorks.

I have had quotes at £3000 and much more for a suitable notebook. I did have a Dell M90, but this has recently died! And cost nearly £3000 new!

So I am wondering if anyone can tell me the best "Standard" laptop with good Nividia Gforce or similar grahics, that I can softmod to a Quadro using RivaTuner? http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=539&pgno=0

I am happy to softmod or flash... recently I modded my Windows 7 32-bit so that it accesses 8GB Ram, and was quite annoyed at the artificail limit imposed by MicroSoft. I was always told that Win 7 could only support 4GB!

So now could someone reccommed a suitable notebook or laptop that I could consider modifying to a Nvidia Quadro emulated graphics for 3D CAD. I am happy to purchase any brand. Just so long as I dont have to pay over £3000 for the 'official ones' which are a real rip off.

Many thanks,
      Bid

3. cadtools

cadtools Member

Get a newest generation i5 or i7 laptop with maximum memory and a large SSD. I would propose pro/e for the 3D cad you will be running in addition to solidworx :).

4. justwrong_44

justwrong_44 New Member

Look at HP 8560w: if you buy a startard unit like XU084UT they start around $1500 or if you build a custom on their site a 20% discounts on the configurable models. Buy the best processor you can afford64 bit operation systemMinimum 4GB Ram, I would go with 8NVIDIA graphic card, smallest is find unless you are using large assemblies