• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Most hated phrases in the office.

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by GarethW, Oct 8, 2011.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

What are yours? I'll set the ball rolling with a few:

1) "End of play" or "close of play" (end of the working day)
      2) "Low hanging fruit" (an issue that needs to be addressed as soon as possible).
      3) "Curved ball" (I'm not actually sure what this means, but some people say it a lot)
      4) "Touch base" (To briefly discuss something with someone)
      5) "Brain dump" (someone offering general thoughts and suggestions on a topic)
      6) "Get all my ducks in a row" (to get organised)
      7) "Mechie" (mechanical engineer)

3. Strambo

Strambo Member

1) Here in the States, we say "at the end of the day" a lot.

2) I think that "low hanging fruit" is actually the easiest to pick, not the most urgently needed.

3) I think the phrase "Curve Ball" (not curved ball) refers to the clever pitch used in American baseball; it is intentionally difficult to hit.

One that I am really sick of around here are "think outside the box". This is normally uttered by some Marketing Wonk who can't really define "the box", but loves to imagine himself an inspiration to the Design Team with his pseudo-visionary lingo. He'll be the first to criticize the corresponding design as too costly...

I have perverted phrase 6) with my penchant for puns: When preparing a report or an ECO package, I get all my docs in a row... :mrgreen:

4. Adam JFE Mead

Adam JFE Mead New Member

"Hmmmm, let's see what I can bring to the table, and deep-dive this issue. I'm not looking for a paradigm shift, I'm just putting ideas out there. Let's stick a pin in it and look at it later...

The interesting thing about this kind of 'project management speak' is that some of the phrases that might sound a bit corny,but can actuallly (and sometimes irritatingly) paint a very good mental picture e.g.:
      1. 'Low hanging fruit' - identifies those tasks that can be easily accomplished (picked off), and may not be high-value, or high-importance/urgency, but can quickly reduce the overall task list, and therefore are sometimes worthwhile if they raise project morale, or simply make easy progress
      2. 'Deep-dive' - get into the depths of a problem's details, rather than just skimming the surface
      3. '10,000foot view' - the oppposite of number 2.
      4. 'Long pole in the tent' - I was once referred to by this phrase - I naively thought I was being praised for being the key 'support' in the project, however I soon realised it actuallly meant I was holding everything up...
      There are plenty more examples that you can probably get away with in-context, but you might avoid using them down the pub! However, with programmes like The Apprentice, I've got a feeling they'll creep into everyday language, as (unfortunately) text/teenage speak is starting to...

5. Adam JFE Mead

Adam JFE Mead New Member

And quite possibly the worst thing to hear...

'How was your weekend?'

This implies it's Monday morning!

6. LinkedIn Gopher

LinkedIn Gopher Little furry chap

You guys need to "think outside the box", "push the envelope", and "innovate". It's especially annoying when it comes from people who actually demand that you design a product based on the shelf space at retail.

Stewart

Source

7. LinkedIn Gopher

workplace optimization .......... right sizing .... phrases that strike fear into the hearts and minds of all that hear them!!! ..... or not ;-) .On the flip side, a none irritating phrase that I'm particularly fond of ..... deja moo.

Don

Source

8. LinkedIn Gopher

For me, the most hated phrase in the World (not limited to only the office, but most often encountered in the office):

"It's not my job." Or variations of the theme ("It's not in my job description", for example).

I have been known to summarily fire employees for spouting this one...

Charles

Source

9. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

When people suggest tightening screws in a certain sequence, the words "...like on a car engine" invariably aren't far away. This is just so annoying.

10. LinkedIn Gopher

My most hated phrase is "it is what it is"

Thomas

Source

11. LinkedIn Gopher

I may beat the next fool who asks me to 'dialogue'....

Kevin

Source