• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Motor selection (stepper motor/Servomotor)

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by ctkmari, Jun 13, 2011.

1. ctkmari

ctkmari New Member

Hello folks,
      I need to finalize the drive motor for linear guide slides saddle which carries bearing housing. This position will be controlled accurately. I don't want the saddle movement is very high. The saddle (bearing housing)movement velocity is more or less equal to velocity of hand rotated ball screw table in regular machine tool. So kindly suggest suitable motor either from servomotor or stepper motor. Also what would be the maximum velocity of the hand rotated tool/tailstock in lathe movement in machine tool?

Regards,
      Mari

3. AndrewNew

AndrewNew Well-Known Member

A stepper motor-based solution will usually work out cheaper than a servo for this kind of application. Stepper motors usually run in open-loop control mode so you need to make sure your motor is sized (usually a bit over-sized) appropriately for the job as if it gets overloaded and losses steps (causing position error) you won't necessarily know it. To calculate the size of the motor you need to know the torque that you need to supply, which will depend on the load that you wish to accelerate and the efficiency of the mechanism you use to transfer the motor rotation into linear motion. I would guess I can spin the hand-wheel on the tailstock of my lathe by hand at 2-3 rps (120-180 rpm). Depending on the drive electronics, stepper motors typically start to lose torque above 2000-3000 steps per second (11-17 rps or 660-1000 rpm) which is well above that. How are you planning on controlling the motor? Computer? Push button?

Cheers

Andrew

4. ctkmari

ctkmari New Member

Hello Andrew,
      Thank you. We decided to use the servo motor with variable frquency drive. We calculated the torque required to drive my slide saddle.
      We are planning to use push button. Do you have any recommendation.

Thanks

Regards,
      Mari

5. AndrewNew

AndrewNew Well-Known Member

Check the RS catalogue, they have hundreds!

Cheers

Andrew