• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • motorcycle chain lubrication system

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by niclatrique, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Harshad

Harshad Member

Dear Friends,

As a Mechanical Engineers, we all know the requirement of oil on chain assembly. First of all, chain itself having relative motion within links. All metal parts. Friction always plays role. Secondly, because of less lubrication, respective parts will wear out up to certain limit and will manage the friction it's own. (Upper layer of frictional surface will wear out, what we see as polished surface). But chain still performs. Even replacement of chain is not so frequent requirement in Bikes. Somehow we are thankful to chain material, its treatment, and assembly specification. But, we are still left with the question.

System says, it is require Lubrication. We must provide that, it is just "requirement". We should not deny.

We must think for some simpler mechanism for lubrication. Also, an imagination quite closer to reality is required in this case. It is not like we are putting Jet of Oil on chain, which will make bike & cloths dirty. anyway, due to centrifugal force acting on oil during rotation of wheel, a fine dropped oil spray will take place for few rotation. I believe it is OK, if some amount of oil sprayed out to fulfill the said requirement. Instead of "clean bike", we must think on "mechanically fit" bike. After all mechanism matters.

We think for system because we want system to work for us as and when required. If we perform timely as and when required, then why system is required? what will be the case when we forget to perform? It is always better if lights gets OFF automatically when we leave room. We need not to remember, and energy saving is most effective.

Yes, we are performing where we do not have system. But if we forget to perform, it is useless.
      That is why we need to Kick Bike when we wish to drive it. or we need to rotate key to switch ON engine. Once system developed to switch ON bike, we need not to rotate key. User's weight is enough capable to push the button under seat to start the engine. Insert Key for unlocking and just seat on Bike. It is ready to drive. Isn't it?

I think, lubrication system is stationary system, and always can be connected to heating source, in case of cold climate condition. even insulated bunch of thin aluminium wires connected to engine body will carry sufficient heat up to oil chamber (Wrapping of Aluminium wire around Oil container). This may be the solution of maintaining sufficient oil temperature.

I appreciate question raised for this problem. I believe, we really think for solution instead of ignoring it due to it's simplicity.

Thanks & Regards to all members.

Harshad Patel.

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Sometimes in engineering we get fixated on a solution in need of a problem. Depending on the motiviation for the project, this may or may not be one of these.

As a hobby project, we all design/build/do things that might not make perfect sense from a cold logic standpoint, but we do for the fun of it. This is the same thing that makes a person drive, say, an old MG roadster instead of a practical but boring Ford sedan.

From a commercial standpoint, one must balance the usefulness of an addition against the costs (monetary, complexity, added weight, whatever). If you're attempting to reduce maintenance required by the owner, then an automatic oiler might make sense, or it might make more sense to redesign the drive (e.g. shaft drive instead of a chain) to eliminate the need oiling. To continue the car analogy, this might be like choosing a higher end car like a BMW or Mercedes instead of the inexpensive Ford. But the manufacturer has chosen periodic owner maintenance (manually oiling the chain at intervals) as the optimum solution. And with hobby machinery, whether it's motorcycles, sports cars, or ultralight aircraft (my personal time waster(, a higher level of required maintenance is considered acceptable.

In this case, the OP is pursuing this for the first reason.

4. Harshad

Harshad Member

(Manual oiling of chain..........) Dear friends, this ends our discussion.

Because, we need to be adherent to operation manual designed by that somebody, who never think of lubrication system as an option against manual lubrication.

Message conveyed to me is; When you think for updating the existing system, just stop. Look for upgraded system available in market, if it suit to your wish, spend money and get it. But, don't think to update the existing system you have. Just kill your ideas of change.

If you are thinking to find out solution for manual lubrication in motorcycle chain, Just stop your thinking process, just because manual says that, "oiling is manual".

Dear designers, Let's not drop this question. Result of this discussion will lead us to reach to simpler solution. Just don't read users manual till we find solution of this.

I do respect your views.

Regards,
      Harshad.

5. MikahB

MikahB Member

In the interest of simplicity, have you considered using a venturi pump to pull a fine oil spray from your reservoir at speed? You could either use the velocity of the motorcycle or the velocity of the chain (and the airflow it generates) to draw a small amount of oil when you wanted it. Once you figured out the proper orifice size, you could use relative height of the reservoir, feed tube and outlet to control the amount of flow.

If said motorcycle is a 4-stroke, I might also consider attempting to harness positive crankcase pressure to provide my pumping power.