• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Mounting Parallel Linear Guides on Weldment

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by caseyholbrook, Feb 3, 2011.

1. caseyholbrook

caseyholbrook New Member

I'm in the process of designing a weldment that will need to have two parallel linear guides (THK Style) mounted to it. It will basically look like an extension ladder laid flat, with the two rails mounting to the top of the main structural members.

Obviously post-welding machining will be necessary to bring the two mounting surfaces into parallelism and some locating features will be necessary. Any thoughts on locating with a shoulder vs pins, and techniques used to minimize chances of binding after assembly? I'm also needing to nest a 1m long lead screw down in the middle of all this.

Any thoughts?

3. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

Locating to a pin and slot is probably easier as long as you don't need the constant support of a shoulder. I would add the following cautions
      1) be careful how the thing is fixtured when machining or you may introduce as much distortion as the welding
      2) take some cuts, release and refixture - whatever you are cutting away, especially large areas of the skin - may have internal stresses and the part will relax as these are cut away.
      3) if there is some way to normalize/ stress relieve/ age the weldment that will help a lot.

the company I used to work for did an inspection machine for HP. an extra wide format plotter pen axis was mounted on a weldment and checked for motion accuracy with a laser interferometer. This is somewhat similar I think

4. pcdcox

pcdcox Member

Hi, I would avoid welding if possible.
      Suggestion 1: Can you creat a sub-assembly.?
      If you could mount the linear slides and the nut for the leadscrew on a base plate ensuring everything is flat and level.
      If you need accuracy then you should consider aluminium tooling plate for the base plate
      You should then mount the sub assy on the weldment with hardware. I am assuming that the top surface of the weldment is flat. If it is not flat then you could mount on studs which would allow for adjustment. Use split washers to ensure that vibration will not loosen the screws.

Suggestion 2: Could you manufacture the entire unit from aluminium extrusion.?(Bosch)